Last updated 28 February 2023
Your online privacy is important to “Japan Language Factory LTD” The purpose of this privacy statement is to provide you with information about our practices with respect to the personal data that we collect from users of our website (hereafter referred to as “Site”) and the services that are made available through the Site.
What this policy is for:
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) applies to the whole of the United Kingdom and European union (EU) companies holding data of United Kingdom and European union (EU) citizens. We value your privacy and want to be accountable to you, and transparent with you, in the way that we collect and use your personal information. We also want you to know your rights in relation to your personal information.
“Japan Language Factory LTD” (“We” / “Us” / “Our”) is committed to protecting our visitors’ privacy and personal information. We will only use the information that we collect about you in accordance with the Law of England and Wales (and all other laws relating to the use of your Personal Data, both now and in the future). This includes information that is submitted voluntarily by you through a form on our website or that is gathered automatically as you visit different parts of this website.
This page aims to help users understand what information might be collected from you when visiting and using our site, and how we protect such information. The reason for this is that, in keeping with the “Law of England and Wales” (and all other laws relating to the use of your Personal Data, both now and in the future), we are the “data controller”, meaning that we are responsible for deciding how your Personal Data is used and more importantly, for keeping your Personal Data safe and only using it for legitimate reasons.
We are committed to protecting your privacy and will take all steps necessary to comply with our legal obligations when using your Personal Data so please read through this document carefully to understand the ways in which we safeguard your personal data.
- What Information we collect
Japan Language Factory LTD actively collects information from its visitors directly from you when you: create an online account, create a search, sign up to our newsletter, give a rating or review, take a survey, fill out an online form, enter a promotion or engage with us.
Some information you submit may be personally identifiable information that can be uniquely identified with you such as full name, address or location, email address, phone number, etc. Some areas of the Site may require you to submit information in order for you to benefit from a wide range of exclusive features (such as email alerts or information requests). You will be informed at each information collection point on what information is required and optional.
We collect the following information from you and about you:
- Contact Information – We may ask about your personal information such as name, address or location, telephone or mobile number, or email address.
- Account Login Information – We will require you to provide information to set up an account with us.
- Demographic Information – We may collect demographic information such as your gender, age, ethnicity and postcode if and when you fill out an online form or a survey.
- Information You Share and Submit – We may collect information that you post either publicly or on a channel/platform we provide (e.g. forum, comment section, survey form and social media) for sharing among users.
- Log Files: As is true of most websites, we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information includes IP addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and clickstream data. We use this information to maintain and improve the performance of the Services.
- Location Information: If you have enabled location services on your mobile device, we may collect your location information to improve the Services we offer. This enables us to provide location-based services. If you wish to change our access or permissions, you may do so in your device’s settings.
Cookies: “Cookies” are small pieces of information (text files) that a website sends to your computer’s hard drive while you are viewing the website. These text files can be used by websites to make the users experience more efficient. The law states that we can store these cookies on your device if they are strictly necessary for the operation of this site. For all other types of cookies, we need your permission. To that end, this site uses different types of cookies. Some cookies are placed by third party services that appear on our pages. We and some third parties may use both session Cookies (which expire once you close your web browser) and persistent Cookies (which stay on your computer until you delete them) to provide you with a more personal and interactive experience on our Services and to market the Services. Marketing cookies are used to track visitors across websites. The intention is to display ads that are relevant and engaging for the individual user and thereby more valuable for publishers and third-party advertisers. This tracking is done on an anonymous basis and, while not an exhaustive list, some of the companies we work with are Google, AppNexus, Criteo, Rubicon, Pubmatic and DistrictM.
2. Use of Your Personal information
In general, personal information you submit to us is used either to respond to requests that you make, aid us in serving you better, or market our Services. We use your personal information in the following ways:
- Operate, maintain, and improve our site(s) services;
- Respond to comments and questions and provide customer service;
- Develop, improve and advertising our podcast Services;
- Fulfill and manage our service, payments, and other transactions related to the Application;
- Identify you as a user in our system;
- Resolve disputes and troubleshoot problems;
- Assist law enforcement and respond to subpoena;
- Generate a personal profile about you to make future visits to the Application more personalized;
- Prevent fraudulent transactions, monitor against theft, and protect against criminal activity.
Your personal information may be kept and processed on servers in the United Kingdom and Europe. We may also create anonymous data records from your personal information by completely excluding information (such as your name) that makes the data personally identifiable to you. We use this anonymous data to analyze request and usage patterns so that we may enhance the content of our Services and improve Site functionality. We reserve the right to use anonymous data for any purpose and disclose anonymous data to third parties at our sole discretion.
We may receive testimonials and comments from users who have had positive experiences with our Services. We may publish such content. When we publish this content, we may identify our users by their first and last name. We obtain the user’s consent prior to posting this information along with the testimonial.
3. Disclosure of Your Personal information
Third Parties Designated by You: When you use the Services, the personal information you provide will be shared with the third parties that you authorize to receive such information.
Third Party Service Providers: We may share your personal information with third party service providers to: provide you with the Services that we offer you through our Services; conduct quality assurance testing; to provide technical support; market the Services; and/or to provide other services to us.
Information We Share: We may disclose aggregated information about our users and information that does not identify any individual without restriction. In addition, we may disclose personal information that we collect or you provide:
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it, for any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information, or with your consent;
- To third parties designated by you;
- With our subsidiaries and affiliates;
- To third parties to process payments made through the Services;
- With contractors, service providers and other third parties we use to support our business;
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by us about users is among the assets transferred; and
Data Retention Policy
We will keep your Personal Data for as long as you are a registered user ecommerce platform, or for as long as is necessary for us to provide products or services for you, and for a limited period of time afterwards.
Once you no longer wish to be engaged with “Japan Language Factory LTD” for any prescribed purpose, we may still need to retain your data if there is a legal reason for doing so (such as for tax purposes where you have made purchases through one of our digital platforms or where we need to resolve any disputes with you).
4. Third Party Websites
5. Your Choices Regarding Information
Cookies: If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to accept cookies from our Services for any of the purposes described above, then you can instruct your browser, by changing its settings, to stop accepting cookies or to prompt you before accepting a cookie from the websites you visit. Consult your browser’s technical information. If you do not accept cookies, however, you may not be able to use all portions of the Services or all functionality of the Services. If you have any questions about how to disable or modify cookies, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
6. Your Rights
As a user of our Site, you have the following rights, any of which you may exercise by contacting us at email@example.com
- The right to ask what personal data that we hold about you at any time. Extra requests (particularly repetitive) for data may result in a fee being charged to the user.
- The right to ask us to update and correct any out-of-date or incorrect personal data that we hold about you free of charge.
- As set out above, the right to opt out of any marketing communications that we may send you.
- Right of access
You have a right of access to any personal information we hold about you. You can ask us for a copy of your personal information; confirmation whether your personal information is being used by us; details about how and why it is being used; and details of what safeguards are in place if we transfer your information outside of the United Kingdom and European Economic Area (“EEA”).
- Right to update your information
You have a right to request an update to any of your personal information which is out of date or incorrect.
- Right to delete your information
You have a right to ask us to delete any personal information which we are holding about you in certain specific circumstances. You can ask us for further information on these specific circumstances by contacting us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We will pass your request onto other recipients of your personal information unless that is impossible or involves disproportionate effort. You can ask us who the recipients are using the email address above.
- Right to restrict use of your information
You have a right to ask us to restrict the way that we process your personal information in certain specific circumstances. You can ask us for further information on these specific circumstances by contacting us via email at email@example.com
We will pass your request onto other recipients of your personal information unless that is impossible or involves disproportionate effort. You can ask us who the recipients are using the email address above.
7. Signing up on japanlanguagefactory.com
We use standard security measures on our site. We will treat your information in strict confidence and endeavour to take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information. However, we cannot guarantee the security of any data you disclose online. You accept inherent security risks of providing information and other internet activities and will not hold us responsible for any breach of security unless it is due to our negligence or willful default.
We keep personal information as long as it is necessary for the practices described in this Policy. We also keep information as otherwise required by law.
This section describes how we use the cookies, and why these cookies are store to your device. We will also share how you can prevent these cookies from being stored. However, this may downgrade or ‘break’ certain elements of the site’s functionality.
A ‘cookie’ is a bit of information that a website sends to your web browser that helps the site remember information about you and your preferences.
‘Session’ cookies are temporary bits of information that are used to improve navigation, block visitors from providing information that is inappropriate (the site ‘remembers’ previous entries of age or country of origin that were outside the specified parameters and blocks subsequent changes), and collect aggregate statistical information on the site. They are erased once you exit your web browser or otherwise turn off your computer.
In some cases, cookies provided by trusted third parties might be used. The sections below detail which third party cookies you might encounter through this site.
We use third-party analytics to help us track and measure usage of the site so that we can continue to produce engaging content. These cookies may track things such as how long you spend on the site, or pages you visit. This will help inform us how to improve the site for you.
Our site also uses social media buttons and/or plugins that allow you to connect with your social platforms in various ways. For these to work, social media sites, such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc., will set cookies through our site that may be used to enhance your profile on their site or contribute to the data they hold for various purposes outlined in their respective privacy policies.
Removing or Disabling Cookies
In most cases, there are no industry standard options for disabling cookies without completely disabling the functionality and features of the site. You have the option to disable or selectively turn off our cookies or third-party cookies in your browser settings or manage preferences in internet security programmes. However, doing so may affect how you are able to navigate our site. This may include the inability to log in to services or programmes, such as logging into your “japan language factory.com” account. It is recommended that you leave on all cookies if you are not sure whether you need them or not, in case they are used to provide a service that is useful to you.
Your rights as a data subject
At any point whilst “Japan Language Factory LTD” is in possession of or processing your Personal Data, you may have the following rights:
- Right of access – you have the right to request a copy of the Personal Data that we hold about you.
- Right of rectification – you have a right to correct Personal Data that we hold about you that is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to be forgotten – in certain circumstances you can ask for the Personal Data we hold about you to be erased from our records.
- Right to restriction of processing – where certain conditions apply you have a right to restrict the processing of your Personal Data.
- Right of portability – you have the right to have the Personal Data we hold about you transferred to another organisation.
- Right to object – you have the right to object to certain types of processing such as direct marketing, as well as processing we undertake based on our legitimate interests.
- Right to object to automated processing, including profiling – you also have the right not to be subject to the legal effects of automated processing or profiling.
Children’s Online Privacy and Protection Act
Federal laws impose special restrictions and obligations on commercial website operators who direct their operations toward, and collect and use information from, children under the age of 18. Japan Language Factory LTD takes such restrictions seriously, and do not intend for our website or resources to be used by children under the age of 18 without first obtaining the verifiable consent of such child’s parent or legal guardian. We do not knowingly collect personal information from minors under the age of 18, only a parent or legal guardian may provide such information after adhering to our verification process for submitting such information
128-160 City Road
London Road EC1V2NX